Salt Lake City, UT asked in Juvenile Law for Utah

Q: I'm 17 and my boyfriend is 16,would my parents be able to stop me from moving in with him if we were engaged?

Me and my boyfriend live 4 hours away from each other and we are trying to find a way to to be together without my parents being able to stop us.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian K Jackson
Brian K Jackson
  • Bountiful, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Your parents are still your legal guardians until you are graduated from high school or 18. They have a legal responsibility to ensure your well-being and safety. Your parents could get in trouble with the state if they didn't try and stop you and found that they were not personally taking care of your personal and financial needs as your legal guardians.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.