Cloverdale, IN asked in Collections, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for Indiana

Q: Can a hospital change the payment account number on a payment check before cashing it?

I have a medical bill account with a medical bill collection agency. I set up a payment arrangement 6 months ago. The lady who set the arrangement up with me told me that I can continue to send the payments to the hospital with the new account number and they would apply it to the account. Ive made 6 payments of $100. They were all cashed by the hospital. The collection agency never saw a cent. They are sending it to a judge. I have electronic copies of the checks from where they were cashed. The hospital crossed out the account number and hand wrote a different one. Was that a legal practice by the hospital? I confirmed that they do have a process in place with their collection company for transferring payments to accounts in collections.

1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ

A: Not sure how this is malpractice, but check with a consumer protection or debtor's rights lawyer.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is only general information. It is NOT legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the relevant facts and documents. I strongly encourage you to consult with a local lawyer to get legal advice and help with your specific situation at your earliest convenience. I am licensed to practice law in Arizona.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.