Asked in Family Law for Georgia

Q: I pay cs on 2 children now one has opted to live with me (13 yr old) how does that effect cs payment

I have paid cs for nearly 10 yrs on both now ex wants me to be solely responsible for oldest and still pay cs on youngest (13&11 yrs old) says she doesn't have to pay because she has no job. Is that true and is it worth court process ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Eric J. Garber
Eric J. Garber
  • Augusta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It is most certainly worth court process. You need to formalize your custody arrangement; if you do not, the other parent can rip the child away from you at any point. As well, you need to establish the other parent's child support obligation - just because she isn't working does not mean that she does not need to help support the child financially. I highly recommend you speak with an experienced family law attorney in your area to help you determine the best course of action after they have reviewed the details of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.