Douglas, GA asked in Family Law for Georgia

Q: My son turns 14 next month and has asked to come live with me.Can the mother stop it if the court can not find me unfit?

I have two children and my oldest son wishes to come live with me once he turns 14. He said he will sign the Election of a Minor affidavit since his mother doesn't agree. Can she stop him from moving if the court can not find me unfit. I have no criminal record and have been very involved in my children's lives even though they live 4 hours away. If the courts agree then one child would reside with me and one with his mother. The mother doesn't work, would the child support be stopped since we both have a child or would I still continue to pay since she doesn't work?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Eric J. Garber
Eric J. Garber
  • Augusta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If the child signs the acknowledgment and it is not against the child's best interests to live with you, you will most likely receive custody. The other parent can contest your request for modification of custody, but it sounds like you will be successful either way. Child support will not necessarily stop - the court will need to calculate the appropriate child support award for both children under the Georgia Child Support Guidelines (i.e., your child support obligation to the child that is living with the other parent, and the other parent's child support obligation to the child that is living with you); to the degree they offset one another, you will not need to pay child support. For example, if the judge calculates you owe a support award to the other parent of $1000.00/month and the other parent owes you a support award of $500.00/month, you will only have to pay $500.00/month (and the other parent will not have to pay anything). Please understand that this is not a cut-and-dry calculation nor is it a simple legal action, and thus I highly recommend you speak with an experienced family law attorney in your area to discuss the specific facts of your case and how the law is likely to apply to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.