Valdosta, GA asked in Family Law for Georgia

Q: Me and my spouse are married but living separated. Can I legally take my daughter and not return her to her mother?

I have called CPS and they are doing nothing to help me remove my daughter from a very bad living situation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Eric J. Garber
Eric J. Garber
  • Augusta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It depends on whether a formal custody order has been entered. If a custody order has been entered, you must abide by the terms of said custody order; if you want to change that custody order (so that you would have primary custody of the child), you will need to file an action to change the custody arrangement. If a custody order has NOT been entered (i.e., you had the child together, one of you moved out of the marital residence, but neither you or your spouse ever went to court and obtained a formal separation/custody order), then you and your spouse have equal rights to the child and either party may take the child without needing the permission of the other party. However, it is important to not appear to be kidnapping the child, so avoid doing anything suspicious (like removing your child from the state where your spouse lives, refusing to let your spouse talk to the child, or let your spouse know where the child is located), as it sounds like this matter will eventually bubble-over into a divorce and you do not want to look like a bad person in front of the judge when it comes time to make decisions regarding who should be the primary custodian. I'd highly recommend that you speak with an experienced family law attorney in your area prior to taking any action, so that they can advise you of your best course of action after reviewing the specific facts of your scenario.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.