Asked in Family Law for Georgia

Q: I want to give my aunt custody of my child that I have never taken care of,where should i go?She wants custody,too.

She loves her alot and I have never taken care of her,I was very young,and she wants to have her legally and feel secure,and I agree,but we don't know where to go here,or who to go to so I can give legal custody to her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Eric J. Garber
Eric J. Garber
  • Augusta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You can either give your Aunt a guardianship of your minor child (which is temporary in nature and can be revoked with court approval), or she can adopt your child (which is permanent in nature and not revocable). Either way, these are both complicated matters with which you should speak to an attorney in your area that is experienced in family law matters.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.