Kennesaw, GA asked in Divorce and Family Law for Georgia

Q: Can I fire my attorney and represent myself in an ongoing CS modification order?

I agreed to pay $1800 in CS for 2 teenage children until the youngest reaches 18. A few months after the divorce was finalized my oldest came to live with me and I continued to pay full support and did NOT put in a change in custody. He has since graduated HS, has continued to live with me for 2 years, in college, and now 19.5 years old. I assumed that CS would just step down accordingly? I have since hired an attorney in order to try and stop paying for my son but the judge has issued a discovery order and then mediation. The only glimmer of hope is that he left language in for retroactive pay but in all honesty, I am NOT confident in my attorney or the cost justification I have already payed almost 7K I did NOT have in order to stop paying 'ex will not budge' and now my attorney is quoting me at best 11K to go the distance. Best I can figure, if I were just to continue paying there would only be a difference of $200. Can I fire my attorney, and just go at it myself? RAILROADED!!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Eric J. Garber
Eric J. Garber
  • Augusta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You can terminate your attorney's representation of you at any time, but as Ms. Rice has stated, you may end up doing more harm than good. Make sure you know the law and have your arguments prepared before you step out on your own.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.