Albuquerque, NM asked in Family Law for New Mexico

Q: Does The BIOLOGICAL Mother Have The Right To Change A Minor Child's Last Name If Someone Else Has LEGAL custody?

Biological grandparents have had Kinship Guradianship for almost 5 years

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeff Grandjean
Jeff Grandjean
  • Roswell, NM
  • Licensed in New Mexico

A: She would need to petition the court to change the child's name, and the judge in that case would more than likely inquire as to who has legal custody, and would then want those parties input into the name change. Keep in mind, this answer is based on the limited information you have provided, for a more detailed answer specific to your situation, you should reach out to a family law attorney to discuss your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.