Springfield, MO asked in Criminal Law for Missouri

Q: I have one ticket in Jackson county missouri for trespassing. The witness, my sister, did not show up for the hearing.

I plead not guilty.

I am told by the prosecutor he is not seeking jail time. However, i do not want this charge on my record. I cannot afford an attorney, i do not have a place of my own at this time and am not working. What is the scenario and possible outcomes if she chooses not to show up to the next court date and how can i secure representation pro bono?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard C Simons
Richard C Simons
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • North Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: It is tough to have a case if there are no witnesses. If your sister is the only witness and refuses to testify, then the prosecution has no evidence and will probably drop the case. However, since there was a ticket I am guessing a police officer might be able to provide testimony, if that is the case then there is evidence against you. If it is Jackson county you can contact the public defenders office, my guess is that you are in Kansas City Municipal court, in which you can still request a public defender. Either way you should consult an attorney.





Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.