Las Cruces, NM asked in Public Benefits for Colorado

Q: Do you work with social security And SSi existing benefits?

My Dad Passed away over 30 years ago. My Mom was entitled to partial of my dads social income as well of his VA.In the mix I have two older brothers that receive benefits from Social Security and SSI . Now that Mom Passed this year my two older brothers benefits have been reduced .My question is it because My Mom was last living parent and every one was under my Dads social Number My brothers benefits were reduced ? They had all there social numbers Do they have to go in individual and fill forms for there own . They wouldn't be able to under stand what a Social Security person would be telling them. Is legal representation for my brothers needed ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You can hire a lawyer (which is easier), but you can also see if you can resolve yourself. You will likely need to be present with your brothers for your office visit. See if you can schedule an appointment at your local SS office (expect this not to work). If you cannot schedule an appointment, then you will need to go to the office and wait (expect 2-3 hour wait). There is sometimes some useful information on the My Social Security webpage (I have found it to be occasionally unhelpful).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.