Milwaukee, WI asked in Immigration Law for Wisconsin

Q: What process does my friend need to go through in order to work here?

I am asking on behalf of a friend -- she wants to be able to work in the US. Her mother was born on a US air force base in Greece and was a US citizen by birth, she later then moved to Greece and grew up there and eventually married her husband who is not a US citizen. she later had a child who is the friend in question. eventually the mother divorced her father and took her with her to the US where she entered on a B2 Visa with original intent to return to Greece but she never did. She came here when she is 8 and is now 20 and still lives with her mother and only found out in the last couple years she can not work due to lack of a social security. Her visitors visa also expired about a year and a half ago and if she has to return to Greece she has nowhere to go and no way to afford coming back since her mother lives in poverty. So I wish to ask on her behalf what steps must she take to become a working citizen here in the US?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Camlinh Nguyen Rogers
Camlinh Nguyen Rogers
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sanford, FL

A: You should sit down with an experienced immigration attorney, who will investigate the facts and the citizenship law in the year 1995 to provide you with the best advice. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.