Las Cruces, NM asked in Constitutional Law, Civil Rights and Criminal Law for New Mexico

Q: Completed a 3 year sentence in doc and just won my appeal in new Mexico court of appeals what actions can I take

I was found guilty by a jury I was sentenced to 5 1\2 years ..18 months for a 4th plus they gave me the 4 year obitual offender .. Court of appeals recently reversed my conviction

1 Lawyer Answer
Marshall Jason Ray
Marshall Jason Ray
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • Licensed in New Mexico

A: You should consult with an attorney. What options you have will depend on many facts, which you have not provided here. For example, you may be contemplating bringing a civil rights lawsuit. You do not automatically have a case just because your conviction was overturned after you served some amount of time. Whether you have a civil rights lawsuit will depend on whether there were individuals, such as law enforcement officials, who violated your rights by acting in a manner that they knew or should have known was illegal. The reversal of a conviction on appeal does not necessarily mean that your civil rights were violated. A local attorney will help you evaluate your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.