Orange Park, FL asked in Personal Injury for Florida

Q: I need to know if I have grounds for a case for emotional distress.

I was wrongfully accused of shoplifting at a local walmart. I checked out via shelf check lane and a few of my items apparently didnt scan. I had no idea, I would have re scanned them. However as i was leaving I was surrounding by five individuals, one very louldy said "YOU NEED TO COME WITH ME NOW" and I tried asking what it was about and he just very loudly repeated that I was trying to steal and I need to follow them now. So I complied I thought it was a big mistake so i was escorted through a very crowded walmart by five employees. and made to sit in a room in silence, they refused to answer my questions and when they did speak they were very condescending. I told them I would be happy to pay for the items that didnt scan, given it was a mistake. I was ignored, they called the cops and luckily the cop watched the tape and said he had to write a report but could tell I wasnt trying to steal, so I was not arrested. I do have to appear in court and possible charges are pending.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Keith Petrochko
Keith Petrochko
  • Lake Mary, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Based on your assertions I personally do not feel that you would have a viable case for emotional destress. Opinions vary. You should contact an attorney as soon as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.