Denver, CO asked in Family Law and Public Benefits for Colorado

Q: I have an outstanding child support arrearage owed to me that child support enforcement has always handled for me.

He has never paid or paid as little as he could get by with for years and has amassed quite an arrearage as a result. I would go 2 to 3 months without a payment and was told they could not do anything unless he missed more than a month. Which he often did and I would just call and soon after I would receive payment. He recently paid off his arrears of almost $5000 and instead of me receiving it as it was owed to me, CSE took it for TANF payments they said i received and he owed - NOT ME. I did not receive these payments and I had already made sure I had no arrears years ago. I went on FSR website and saw he was supposed to pay $227/mo but I only saw $27 if i was lucky every few months and that was listed as true on the website. I believe they are lying. and that I am still owed those arrears. They are closing his case and said he still owes them $6000 and my arrears were paid already but I wasn't receiving payments the whole time. Illegal? Definitely immoral, We are first before them 2

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: It is common practice for the government to take priority for TANF payments when back child support is paid. If you feel this was an error and/or you want to pursue civil collections against your ex I suggest that you hire a lawyer. There are also some pro bono resources which may be available: .

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.