Greenwood, IN asked in Uncategorized for Indiana

Q: Can I be brought in as an assistant to the personal representative of an estate? And if so, what is the best way?

I live in Indiana. My uncle, who also lived in Indiana, died several weeks ago. He was intestate, so there was no specification on who should be the personal representative, and as of right now, no one is officially "in charge" of the estate. My cousin, the deceased uncle's son, is interested in administering the estate and tying up the loose ends. He wants to become the personal representative and obtain a lawyer. However, he lives in the deep south, and traveling to Indiana is not possible. He wants to bring me in as a local, Indiana-based assistant to help him sort this out.

Although I am not a practicing attorney, I do have legal and business training, and would like to help my cousin out. 1) What does my cousin need to do to become the personal representative? 2) Once he is made the PR, is it okay for him to bring me in as the "point man" in Indiana, so that I can meet with attorneys, attend court, etc. on his behalf? How would we set that up?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko
  • Plymouth, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Your cousin should have already contacted an Indiana estate attorney to handle the estate. There is no problem with having two co-personal representatives. Your attorney can prepare the paperwork.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.