Aurora, CO asked in Uncategorized for Colorado

Q: My ex and I have joint custody. He recently moved and refuses to give me his new address, can he do this?

My ex and I have 50/50 custody with equal decision making. She stays with him a week then me a week. He recently moved and will not provide me his new address. I have asked for it a couple times. His previous home sale closed on February 12th and my daughter has been mentioning since before that date living in a new house. What can I do so that I can know where my daughter is living when she is not with me? She is going to be starting school in the fall and I am trying to get her registered. I am trying to look at all the options we have and he does not want her to go the school that I live by. I think he is trying to enroll her in school without me being there. Any advice on how to address this? He has already done several things without consulting me in regards to our daughter.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Your ex is likely violating your custody agreement and most certainly violating Colorado law. I suggest that you file a contempt charge against your ex. Our local courthouse will have resources to assist you or you can hire a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.