Brighton, CO asked in Uncategorized for Colorado

Q: What form do I need for by someone living in out of state, that is the sucessor to my brothers estate giving me authoriz

There is no real estate, he was single, no children, it all should go to my fater. He is 83 and lives in las vegas. How do he appoint me to claim all of his property from another family members house.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: I assume that this is part of a probating estate. If so, there is no form to bypass a beneficiary of record. You have two options: (1) have the estate probate to your father and then have your father transfer the assets to you as a gift, devise or sale; (2) your father can repudiate his beneficiary interest to the other beneficiaries (this will only work if you are also a beneficiary of record). You have a potential multijurisdictional issue which needs to handled properly or the wholly transfer will be voided. I highly recommend that you contact an attorney for assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.