Parker, CO asked in Uncategorized for Colorado

Q: My exboyfriend is suing me for my dog after he was convicted of domestic violence. Can he get a court order for my dog?

He was charged with domestic violence and criminal mischief. He is now getting a court order to have my dog taken from me and given to him. Can he do this or does this have to go in front of a judge (with myself present) before any ownership is determine. Please note, all of the purchase receipts, vet bills, microchip registration, and puppy contract is in my name and not his. He is simply going off of a non-formal oral agreement (minus a few stipulations) we made a year ago. Would the statutes of frauds also vacate any oral agreement (the dog (sale of goods) was over $1800)?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Under Colorado law, pets are property. Property can be divided between couples after the relationship ends, even for non-married couples. The difference for non-marriage couples is that unless there is evidence of an overlapping of financial resources or care, the party with the greatest ownership interest will likely get the dog. Since you paid for all expenses of the dog it is unlikely that your ex will get the dog. The oral agreement is of comparatively minor significance unless your ex must prove both the existence and terms (usually by conduct or stipulation). As for the Statute of Frauds (SoF) you will need to contact a lawyer about the specifics (SoF does not usually apply for family relation issues, but can for sales/gifts/bequests).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.