New York, NY asked in Civil Rights for New York

Q: Should my friend file a case against the police/city, or against the person who wrongfully accused him of "terrorism"?

Someone I know has been wrongfully and bogusly accused of suspected ties to terrorist activity. He is an American-born, South Asian male. There is no evidence against him and he has absolutely zero terrorist sympathy, but the ongoing police investigation has been causing him a lot of emotional distress and fear given the current climate of racism and general high alert in the country. We also believe we know the person who accused him and that there was possible malicious intent behind the accusation. (The person who we believe accused him also happens to be a part of the police department and may have used some kind of influence in having the case be high priority.)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Damashek
Jonathan Damashek
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: It would depend on the facts of the case. I would need to know more such as whether he was arrested and the current status of any charges against him.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.