Marlette, MI asked in Personal Injury for Michigan

Q: If I injure someone in an accident and get sued for more than my insurance coverage can I lose my properties even if my

wife and or childrens names are on the titles

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: If they get a judgment in excess of your policy limits, they can go after your assets. They would most likely not be able to foreclose on your real property due to multiple owners, but they could place a lien on them for when they are sold. A bankruptcy may be of some use to you if it gets that far.

Of course, it is unlikely you will get that far, as most attorneys will stop at the policy limits due to the difficulty of collecting personal assets. I would suggest speaking with your adjuster and/or insurance company's attorney about the probability of an excess judgment.

David Alan Wolf
David Alan Wolf

A: In many States, a homestead property is afforded protections against collections. You should contact an attorney to represent your interests now. The attorney you hire can put some pressure on the insurance company to resolve the case to minimize your exposure. In most cases, the Plaintiff's attorney focuses his or her attention on the insurance coverage rather than chasing down an uncertain collection against the at fault party. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.