Traverse City, MI asked in International Law for Michigan

Q: Can I serve papers by courier abroad to a non-Hague country?

I need to serve papers to an individual in Malaysia, a non-Hague country. I have the woman's mailing address/location. Here is what the US Dept of State says about service:

"Malaysia is not a party to the Hague Service Convention. In the absence of any prohibition against it, service of process in Malaysia may be effected by mail, by agent, such as a local attorney, or through letters rogatory. Litigants may wish to consult an attorney in Malaysia before pursuing a particular method of service of process, particularly if enforcement of a U.S. judgment is contemplated in the future."

Would serving papers via FedEx or a courier requiring a signature be compliant under Michigan law?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas. R. Morris
Thomas. R. Morris
  • International Law Lawyer
  • Dexter, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: This would be valid service under Michigan law, provided that the courier is a competent adult who is not a party or an officer of a corporate party. But that does not mean that the Michigan court would have jurisdiction over the defendant, or that the judgment you might obtain would be enforceable against the defendant. The advice given by the State Department is good advice as well. My answer is only for discussion purposes and is not legal advice. In order to properly advise you, I would need all of the facts. And even if I were to advise you, consultation with a Malaysian attorney might be a good idea so that he or she can help you to achieve your objective.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.