Warren, NJ asked in Elder Law, Estate Planning and Probate for Virginia

Q: My 89 year old Mother passed away on Sept. 3, 2014 with no will. I cared for her until she passed away.

I had a durable POA to handle her medical and other affairs and her bank accounts had a POD. I took her back to England for burial and her accounts had no additional funds after the cost of the funeral etc....I contributed to her home health care costs and funeral costs. My Mother was due a small refund from the home health care agency with the check being made out to "The Estate of..." as some payments were dispersed from my Mother's checking account. They requested a release be signed before issuing the check. What do I need to do in order to execute the release and handle the funds? Thanks for any information you can provide.

1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Lane Kreitzer
Matthew Lane Kreitzer
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Winchester, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You probably shouldn't be doing any of this. A power of attorney does not allow you to reconcile a deceased person's estate. The only person who can do that is the Administrator, appointed by the court in instances where there are no wills. Seek out a Probate attorney soon.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.