Sellersville, PA asked in Employment Law and Public Benefits for Pennsylvania

Q: Can I collect unemployment after a voluntary quit from a non compliant daycare?

I had a secure job at a local school district and gave it up for a job close to home as a daycare director. The business was new and struggling and I agreed to help build the business. I held up my end and brought in more business but quickly began to notice that the owner was cheap and had no business sense. Even though more children were coming in she refused to hire more people to keep the business in ratio and fix things to keep the children safe. I continuously expressed my concern but she refused to follow DHS rules. Afraid of any liability I quit. Now I am without a job and don't even know if I can collect unemployment because I quit my job voluntarily and I know she will fight it. But then again I know all about her non compliance. I'm afraid if I claim I could even get myself in trouble for not calling DHS but we have inspections and the inspector doesn't even do a thorough check. What can I do at this point? I have been out of work for 2.5 weeks. Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You can file as you left because of a necessitous and compelling reason, namely that you were being asked to operate a business that would not be in compliance with the law. If they want to fight it then they are not thinking.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.