South Milwaukee, WI asked in Immigration Law for Wisconsin

Q: F1 to Green card

My boyfriend and I leave in different states in the USA(I live in WI and he lives in CA). I arrived in the USA with a J-1 visa and changed my status to a F1 visa, I've been going to school for 2 semesters, but we're planning on getting married. Although, I would like to live with him for a while before we get married. How can I do with my school? If I skip a semester I will most likely be deported. Is there any way I could take a semester off to live with him and get married before the next semester starts?

He's also planning on getting into the air force and getting married right after he signs the contract so he is able to meet the poverty lines for sponsorship. Would that cause any problem to get the green card?

One last thing I'm worried about is taxes. I'm not sure I filled all my taxes correctly and I didn't know I was supposes to fill in taxes even when I was in school but wasn't working.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Glendale, CA

A: 1. It is a good idea to spend time with your boyfriend before getting married if you just met him recently or if you met online, and you should talk to DSO in your school to figure out how you can do that without losing your visa.

2. No, getting married after joining the air forces will not cause any problems for you to get a green card.

3. You are required to file your taxes even if you are not working. I suggest also talking about this to your DSO to find out how you can solve that issue, although this should not be a big problem. If you have more questions I suggest contacting an immigration attorney via phone or email. Many immigration attorneys including me offer free consultations, make use of the consultations.

All the best.

-Shan Potts

Like our facebook page for regular immigration and visa updates -

15 years of successful immigration law experience. The answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.