Junction City, KS asked in Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Kansas

Q: Dear attorneys,My ex-girlfriend secretly recorded me in my private home and then humiliated me in public with it.

My ex-girlfriend and I lived together. We got into a heated argument because she is horribly abusive, and she abuses her son. I went off on her verbally in the privacy of my home where there is a reasonable expectation that it is a domain of privacy. I kicked her out and I now live alone. Since that time, and I didn't know it, she humiliated me by playing the recording of me yelling at her (it was pretty bad)... I blew my stack from so much abuse, I couldn't take it anymore... and she played it to people of the general public. I am humiliated. Can I sue her in Court for a felony disclosure of private interception with a recording device taken in the privacy of my home and then used to humiliate me in public with it? If so, how do I begin? She has the phone. I don't know if the recording is on it anymore. I have to hunt down people she played it to, but I only heard she did that... namely, her employer, her colleagues and my neighbor, and possibly employees at a small retail store.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Unlikely it's illegal. Over the phone it is in many states. Playing it could be viewed as intentional infliction of emotional distress, but that would be apointless case because if she has no money, the attorney would make you pay--and if she is manipulative and passive aggressive she may enjoy it. Time to move on. New set of friends, new life, reinvent, reframe.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.