Dallas, TX asked in DUI / DWI for Illinois

Q: my son is getting the run around in getting his license back,he has went through all he needed to do

He was given a dui from VIrginia,which shouldn't of been a dui his papers show he was under the legal limit.he had to give up his license in Illinois,he's been through counsiling and had informal hearing.now Illinois doesn't want to give them back to him. this is his first offense

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Polinske
Brian Polinske
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Edwardsville, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: He will need to file for a hearing. The hearing will be either formal or informal. He may be required to undergo AODA alcohol treatment prior to the SOS granting him driving relief. Even if the charge was his first he could have received a conviction. Different states treat 1st offense DUI charges differently. Some states don't allow for a deferred disposition on the first offense such as Illinois does. If they are convicted of the offense it results in a revoked license in Illinois.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.