Belton, MO asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence, Family Law and Wrongful Death for Missouri

Q: can a case that was just dismissed 3 years ago, that involved a death of a child be reopened?

Medical examiner said it was accident so after 58 or 85 days the guy was in jail for murder charges just got released. The stories don't add up and not do the injuries the child had even dfs said there was multiple injuries they discovered on the child and the injury he obtained from this so called "accident" doesn't match up

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: If it went to trial, no--the double jeopardy clause prevents retrials. The problem is that the DA's office has to be convinced that having had the case thrown out once it's likely to succeed now. In a criminal case it has to be shown beyond a reasonable doubt that the person charged did it--that's pretty tough. I suggest you speak with the victim assistance coordinator at the DA's office if you are a family member of the child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.