Toms River, NJ asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for New Jersey

Q: Question about false restraining order from a girl I have known for only 2 weeks

I met a girl online 2 weeks ago and we went out for drinks a couple of times. We texted back n forth for a few days. Then I met her 2 days ago and we were hanging out in the car when she suddenly walked out of the car and called the cops on me. She said I am trying to hack her phone and harrasing her and following her. I have known the girl for only 2 weeks and have no reason to be doing that. Cops came and I told them everything and they told me I am good to go. Today I got a call from court house saying there is a restraining order against me and I have a court date. I am not sure how to proceed. I did not do anything wrong or harras that girl. I want to know how can I fight my case and also is it possible to file a complaint against the girl for making false accusations and giving me mental stress?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Santo Artusa Jr.
Santo Artusa Jr.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jersey City, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You need to hire an attorney and defend this case. An FRO is serious in many ways. You need to show that you have no intent of communicating with her ever again and show the surrounding circumstances so the Judge can understand what is going on.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.