New Orleans, LA asked in Divorce and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: Hello. i need to know what or the steps i need to take for divorce?

My marriage is over. Im mentally drained. i centered myself around my cheating husband and kids. Im an at home mom. We have been together for 20 plus years. My husband want to be able to be wild and free...and have a wife at home. Im just done.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Martin Louque Jr
Robert Martin Louque Jr
  • New Orleans, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You have a couple options, you can file for a divorce based on adultery that would end the marriage sooner but would also end any entitlement you have to interim spousal support sooner. You can also separate from your husband, file a "no fault" divorce and then wait 12 months after he is served to obtain a final divorce.

An attorney can tell you what is best based on your financial needs. You may be able to assist your attorney on what is needed for your mental and spiritual well being.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.