Sterling, IL asked in DUI / DWI for Illinois

Q: My 20 year old son got arrested for DUI on private property. What is the difference being on private property?

What could happen to him? Where do we go from here. They did not have him blow. They said because he smelled of booze on private property was all they need because of his age. There was also weed in the car.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dominick R Dolci
Dominick R Dolci
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Oakbrook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Private property relates to the issue of summary suspension. If the state cannot prove that your son drove on a public way, then the summary suspension should be rescinded as a matter of law.

The criminal charge of DUI can still be brought by the state even though your son was on private property. I've had cases where people were sitting in their car in the garage with the keys in it listening to music, having no intention of leaving, still being charged with DUI.

The civil summary suspension and the criminal charge of DUI are two separate legal matters. Hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.