Homewood, IL asked in Animal / Dog Law for Illinois

Q: My dogs are accused of escaping & biting someone. There's no evidence either way. How do a make a strong defensive case?

We received an ordinance violation in the mail that our dogs got loose and bit someone. We were home during that time and our dogs were not out, but we do not have any proof, only our word. They obviously do not have proof either. What are our rights, and how do we make a strong defensive case at the hearing?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Rosenfeld
Jonathan Rosenfeld
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It depends on who you received the 'ordinance' from? Was this a notice from a court? If so you may wish to contact the State's attorney or other person responsible for the prosecution of the case. You can ask when what information they have in their file to support such allegations.

If this is a 'notice' from a civil matter related to a personal injury claim made by a person who was allegedly bitten by your dog, you may want to contact the plaintiff's (person making the allegation) attorney and ask them the basis for such an allegation.

If this is indeed a civil claim, you may wish to contact your homeowner's insurance company and they will likely defend you this is situation.

Good luck to you. Jonathan

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.