Newville, PA asked in Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: My mother has filed a complaint for custody of my son.

What do I do next. This is in Pa. Does it cost me money to go to court? Can we do mediation instead?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Rowe
Cheryl Rowe
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: I would seriously consider consulting with a lawyer in your area. You will end up in court, if only for the mediation, if that is ordered in your county. It is unlikely to be resolved at mediation, and I never advise clients to go to court without a good lawyer with you. You will be given court dates, and most likely, you will end up in front of a custody master, who will work with you, her and the attorneys, to try to resolve the case. If it cannot be resolved, you will end in front of the judge. Many lawyers, like me, offer free consultations. I strongly suggest that you sit down and go over the details of your situation with a lawyer in your region. Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.