Addison, IL asked in Workers' Compensation for Illinois

Q: what happens if I receive a bill that should have been paid by illinois workmen's compensation after the case is closed?

I received a letter from a bill collector after 10 months of the case being settled. I do not remember the creditor, but I do remember the doctor that performed the procedure. The bill should have been paid when the case was settled. My attorney is the one that brought my attention to this doctor. I am under the impression that after being on WC, I am not responsible for any medical treatment that my doctor orders.

Please help me with this problem because the bill is for $2660.00, and I do not have a job anymore after signing the paperwork.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Rosenfeld
Jonathan Rosenfeld
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You should look the terms of your settlement contract. This will likely address who is responsible for past and future medical bills. If you were represented by a lawyer in the case, you may want to ask him or her about what can be done with the bill. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.