Shreveport, LA asked in Criminal Law for Louisiana

Q: Sex offense law changed (LA) How to fix it, was a felony, now a misdemeanor. Turned 18, got charged. 2004

My fiance was 17 in 2004 dating a 15 year old with permission from the mom. He turned 18 and her stepmother pressed charges. They were dropped but picked up by state. He is stuck w a felony and has to register as an offender. Laws changed and it's now a misdemeanor with no registry. How can we get this adjusted, fixed and not have to register him anymore? Please help, we are getting married and I want him to be able to start fresh and not have this hanging over him. He is a wonderful man and father. He should be able to go to our children's functions with no worries. He has had to deal with this so long, I feel unjustly. Can we get it taken off, reduced and how?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Martin Louque Jr
Robert Martin Louque Jr
  • New Orleans, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: I would obtain the services of an attorney for this procedure. It is not guaranteed but there is a procedure to relieve someone of sex offender requirements for a carnal knowledge conviction if the conviction was a felony then but would be a misdemeanor today. The procedure can be complicated so getting a lawyer is the best option to make sure it is done correctly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.