Madison, WI asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Wisconsin

Q: Can the police enter your home looking for someone that is not on your lease with a warrant for them by breaking it in

1 Lawyer Answer
William F Sulton
William F Sulton
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Milwaukee, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: Your question is more complicated than you probably intended it to be. Police may use and act on false information. The real question is a quality of the false information. You should review the application for the warrant at the circuit court that issued the warrant. The application will show whether there was probable cause to believe that the person lived at your residence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.