Denver, CO asked in Foreclosure, Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Land Use & Zoning for Colorado

Q: Is there anything we can do if we have paid back taxes on a property and have continued to pay to get a deed?

We have a property that my wife's parents bought and started building a house on. But they gave up paying the taxes and the property went up for an auction unless back taxes were paid. My wife and I paid the taxes and have continued to pay them. My wife's father has signed over his part of the property to us but my mother in law will not and would rather see the property in someone else's hands is there anything we can do to get a title in our name so we can finish the house? Thank you in advance we are located in colorado.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You will need to contact a real estate attorney directly for advice with your situation. As a general rule, paying taxes and receiving the father's share give you an interest in the property. The mother can force a sale, but you can offer to purchase her portion. If nothing else you should receive a portion of the profit from the sale. If you haven't already, make sure to use the material you have to get on the deed of the property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.