Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Custody and child support

I have three children ages 9, 11, and 13. The 11 year old doesn't want to stay with her mother overnight anymore, is there anything I can do? 2nd question; if I have the kids over 50% of the time should I pay child support (nothing written by the court ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Rowe
Cheryl Rowe
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: I would advise following the court order, if one exists. If you feel your 11 year old has really good reasons for not wanting to go, then you can petition to modify the current order. Whether you will succeed is something that I could not answer without knowing more details. If you have the kids more than 50% of the time, which is determined by the number of overnights each parent has, and if that parent supports the kids, then it is likely that you will not have to pay support. In fact, she may owe you support. I don't know where you are writing from, but I would highly recommend calling for a consultation with a lawyer in your area. Many, like me, offer free consultations. Best of luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.