Kingsport, TN asked in Traffic Tickets for Tennessee

Q: didn't turn driving school papers in before ticket was due. They wouldn't let turn in and had to pay ticket now.

My son accidentally forgot to turn in papers before ticket (speeding ticket) was due by 3 days. He was going to take them by next time he was in Johnson City. We live 30 min. away. He was leaving them sitting on his passenger seat so he'd remember to run the paper by. When he cleaned his car he accidentally forgot to put the driving class paper back in the passenger seat and forgot to turn it in. He went by 3 days late and they wouldn't accept it. They said it was in the hands of the State and he would now have to pay the ticket. I called and talked to them and they said he could come in and talk to the Judge 2 days later. The Judge also told him to pay the ticket. WHY couldn't he take care of this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Megan R. House
Megan R. House
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cordova, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: He could have taken care of this, but he chose not to. Allowing someone to do driving school to keep a ticket off their record is not a right, it is an agreement between your son and the State. He didn't follow through with his part of the agreement, so they no longer have to honor theirs. He asked the judge, who had the authority to accept the driving school certificate and dismiss the ticket, and the judge held him to his agreement to do driving school and show proof of completion by certain date, he failed to do so and now he has to pay the ticket.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.