Asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: How do i go about finding out if someone is pregnant with my child?

Long story short...We met, has sex on and off. She developed feelings, and i told her i didn't feel the same way. after that she told me she was 3 months pregnant. I was happy to have a child, but told here this isn't going to lead to a relationship between us. After that, it was downhill. Anger, hate, etc ensued and she said she'll never let me be the father of her child. 3 months prior to her telling me, she was involed with her EX. So i think she may be leading him to believe the baby is his, since he wasnt to be with her, and to avoid shame in her family i guess. May just as likely not be mine, but i need to know. If i have a child, i want to raise my child.

I contacted her arond the due date and she said she had a miscarriage, shes married, and for me to leave her alone. I searched public record, no marriage licenses showed up.

What do i need to do to find out whether she had a baby or not, married or not, and prove the paternity?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
A. James Mullaney III
A. James Mullaney III
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: That's a bad situation. The only thing I could think of is to start a paternity case anyway and request that she produce her medical records that proves she had a miscarriage. That seems a little extreme, but most mothers do not deny having a child. If she does have a child, you can ask the judge to order her and the child to submit to a DNA test to prove whether the child is your or not. If she did have a miscarriage, then you can dismiss the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.