Saint Petersburg, FL asked in Adoption for Utah

Q: How do I adopt my former step-son (Kevin), who is now an adult?

We both consent to the adoption, but there are two issues that could create challenges:

1. Kevin's mother and I are divorced.

2. Kevin and I live in separate states. He lives in Utah, I live in Florida.

My questions:

1. Do I need consent from birth parents?

2. In which state do I file the adoption request, and are there additional requirements for each state?


Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Brian K Jackson
Brian K Jackson
  • Bountiful, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: You could file in either state. Since he is an adult, you wouldn't need consent from the parents unless the parents still have guardianship of him. Adult adoptions are tricky and the judge will most likely want a decent explanation as to the reasoning.

Jason F. Barnes
Jason F. Barnes
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Kaysville, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Actually, the problem you have here in Utah, at the present moment (the buzz on the streets right now is that this might be changed next year) is that where you and his mother are divorced, when you adopt Kevin it will terminate his mother legal relationship with him. Here is the statute (see #1 and 3).

78B-6-138. Pre-existing parent's rights and duties dissolved.

(1) A pre-existing parent of an adopted child is released from all parental duties toward and all responsibilities for the adopted child, including residual rights, and has no further rights with regard to that child at the earlier of:

(a) the time the pre-existing parent's parental rights are terminated; or

(b) except as provided in Subsection (2), and subject to Subsection (3), the time the final decree of adoption is entered.

(2) The rights and duties of a pre-existing parent described in Subsection (1) who, at the time the child is adopted, is lawfully married to the person adopting the child are not released or terminated under Subsection (1)(b).

(3) The rights and duties of a pre-existing parent described in Subsection (1) who, at the time the child is adopted, is not lawfully married to the person adopting the child are terminated as provided in Subsection (1)(b).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.