Chicago, IL asked in Sexual Harassment and Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: Is there a limit to how long a sex offender can be on a registry? My boyfriend said he only had to be on it for a year

he had consensual sex with a 16 or 17 year old. He said they only had him on there for a year because she initiated it.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: The default listing of a convicted sex offender in Colorado (whether the crime was committed in Colorado or another state) is life. If your boyfriend lives in Illinois then the standard term is 10 years. There is a process in Colorado to remove oneself from the registry, but this requires court approval and I have never heard of a person being removed in a year (unless the conviction was overturned). Also in Colorado it is not statutory rape to have sex with a 17 year old and for a 16 year old the offender must be at least 10 years older. I do not know the age of your boyfriend, but statutory rape of 16 year old is rare in Colorado. You may want to consider paying for a criminal background check on your boyfriend or contact the CO department of corrections (either method costs well under $100, are anonymous, and your boyfriend will not know of the request). In short, his story sounds inaccurate to me...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.