Asked in Animal / Dog Law for Utah

Q: My neighbor breed my male dog with his without our permission, do I have any rights to the puppies?

Kids let my dog out of my yard and my neighbor locked him in his backyard with his dog that was in heat. I have pictures and Facebook posts proving the puppies are from my dog and that he intentionally put my dog in his fenced yard.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian K Jackson
Brian K Jackson
  • Bountiful, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: You would have to prove that it was without your permission and would also have to most likely prove that the other owner did it intentionally and this did not just occur by accident. If somehow you can prove that it was without your permission and that it was intentional you could have a right to the puppies, however, it may require a DNA test or the judge may determine it by looking at the colors or spots. It would only be a claim worth pursuing if the puppies were of quite a value and the only way you could get claim to the puppies is through a legal proceeding unless you can figure something out with the neighbor outside of court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.