Cedar City, UT asked in Divorce for Utah

Q: Can I stop my ex-husband's girlfriend from visiting my child in his classroom?

We have been divorced for about 3 years. His girlfriend recently moved in with him. She has developed an unhealthy relationship with my 14 year old daughter - encourages her to lie to me and do things she isn't allowed to do, etc. She moved her kids to the same school my younger kids go to. I am also a teacher at that school. I just found out that she goes in their classrooms every morning to see them and "check their backpacks." I have full custody and my ex has standard visitation. Can I stop her from going into their class?


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian K Jackson
Brian K Jackson
  • Bountiful, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: You're the legal guardian so if you are concerned for their safety and well-being then you can make decisions on their part to protect them within the bounds of the law. The first step would be to talk to her or your ex and explain the situation or the teacher of the class and explain to them your concerns.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.