Port Jefferson, NY asked in Child Support for New York

Q: The father of my children left us and moved to Ga . We live in ny. Which state does child support go by?

Noncustodial parent lives In Ga . Left ny . I need to apply for child support. Which state does child support guidelines come from?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M. Colwell
Kevin M. Colwell
  • Albany, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You can file for child support in New York State. Under the interstate child support act "UIFSA". Assuming you and the child have lived in NY for six months, NY is the home state for child support purposes and as the initiating jurisdiction can acquire long arm personal jurisdiction over the father in Georgia. Accordingly, New York's child support standards act guidelines and other applicable provisions would be the law of the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.