Punta Gorda, FL asked in Criminal Law for Michigan

Q: If you are currently on probation & someone thinks you have purjured yourself can they turn you in for more harsh?

Even though the details are not why you received the misdemeanor? If they want to turn you in for a detail that they say you were not honest about in the police report and not sure if it came out in court or not, could they turn into your your probation officer or the court to see if you could have harsher punishment through the court for purjury?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr Scott Marshall Neuman
Mr Scott Marshall Neuman
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Okemos, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: One of the terms of most probations is not to break a criminal law. Filing a false police report is against the law. If a person is charged with filing a false police report then it is a violation of probation. However the mere allegation of filing a police report may not be sufficient for a probation officer to violate a probationer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.