Macedon, NY asked in Divorce for New York

Q: My wife left 6 yrs ago she closed her 401k and bought a house out of state without me knowing

Does she have any right to my 401k. Also I have given her 10,000 buying her out of my townhouse that is is my name is have paperwork to prove all stated what are my rights now

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sunjae Lee
Sunjae Lee
  • Flushing, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Without a divorce decree or at least a separation agreement, she is still your spouse and she is technically eligible to make claims for your assets. (Which means you could also technically claim rights to her out-of-state house). I recommend consulting with a lawyer and also getting a divorce.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.