Asked in DUI / DWI for Illinois

Q: What is the process for finishing the terms of a DUI conviction as a minor in another state?

20 year old

In Illinois working as part of a college internship

Scheduled to return home to another state in 8 weeks

First offense for any reason

Good work and college records

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Polinske
Brian Polinske
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Edwardsville, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If I understand the question, you were arrested in Illinois for the offense of DUI. You are asking if you need to return to the State of Illinois to resolve the pending case. If that is correct, the answer is it depends on what county you are charged with the offense. For example, in some of the small counties the offense of DUI is treated more seriously (procedurally) than in other larger counties. In Madison and St. Clair Counties a personal appearance is not required if the defendant has retained counsel. You should immediately contact a qualified attorney who represents people charged with the offense of DUI in the county where your case is pending.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.