Boca Raton, FL asked in Probate for Florida

Q: I'm the executor of my Dad's will, but I live out of state and we haven't filed it yet with the court.

Can my son deal with paying current costs, like for the funeral, right now - he lives in state - even though the will hasn't been filed yet?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Sabina Tomshinsky

  • Probate Lawyer
  • Gainesville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, your son should be able to front the costs and then get reimbursed accordingly. However, I urge you to consult with a probate attorney in the County where the probate will be commenced so that the will can be reviewed and a more specific response can be provided on all the related matters including the costs of administration, funeral costs and the reimbursement process on the same.

Katherine Schnauss Naugle

  • Probate Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It depends on how your dad's accounts were titled. If they were joint accounts with your son then yes he can. I would suggest talking to a probate lawyers to determine how to pay expenses.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.