Candler, NC asked in Divorce for New York

Q: Married in NYC 25 years but filed in Staten Island can atty rep me in NYC court? Venue was changed from SI to NY.

Atty does not show interest in going to represent me in NY and has no interest in continuing with my case. Does she have the responsibility of showing up to court or did she know that she couldn't represent me in NYC. Both of us were married and lived in NYC but I could not afford an atty in NYC so I hired one in Staten Island. Is there any Legal Aid assistance I can find in NYC to assist me? Any information can help me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sunjae Lee
Sunjae Lee
  • Flushing, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Generally, any New York-licensed attorney can represent a client in any New York courts.

Also, people can choose to start the divorce in any consented county (that is, you can get your divorce from Richmond County although you were married and living in New York County).

Your attorney should be able to answer you these questions.

There are free clinics for uncontested divorces at the Supreme court, so you can ask them for help or at least directions to get help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.