Astoria, NY asked in Immigration Law for New York

Q: Been outside US for 11 months due to sudden death of my father Will i be able to get US citizenship in 5 years time?

I became a US permanent resident in Apr 2014. I had to go back to my native country due to sudden death of my father, thereafter, I had to take care of my mom and sister. Came back after 11 months outside US. I am curious about whether I’ll still be able to get citizenship in five years time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sunjae Lee
Sunjae Lee
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Flushing, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Your 11-month trip may not have broken the required continuous residence, if you can provide proper evidence.

Assuming that you also met all the other requirements, you could be eligible for naturalization in the 5 years' time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.